Breast Implant Options
Getting breast augmentation is by no means a one-size-fits-all procedure. Just like every woman is unique, each patient’s breast enlargement goals involve individual factors such as anatomy, appearance concerns and ideal results. Having the highest quality of breast implant options allows each woman to benefit from products designed to create the most natural-looking results while prioritizing your health and safety.*
Dr. Jennifer Harrington is known as one of the best female plastic surgeons for understanding a woman’s relationship to her body and the need for the safest and best products. She prides herself on providing high quality breast implant options as well as being a part of the longest and largest study to date on gummy bear implants, the newest 5th generation of breast implants.
Harrington Plastic Surgery has helped women from Minneapolis-St. Paul and throughout Minnesota with the help of breast implants. Contact us online or call our Plymouth office today at 651-290-7600 for more information about breast augmentation, including pricing and breast implant options.
Breast implant type can affect your final breast enlargement outcome just as much as any other factor. The most common breast implant types are saline and silicone with silicone implants being the most commonly used. Dr. Harrington is proud to use the most cohesive implant on the market.
There are 3 options when it comes to breast implant type:
›Saline breast implants
›Silicone breast implants
›Gummy bear implants
Saline Breast Implants
- Saline breast implants have a silicone shell filled with a sterile saline solution.
- Saline implants are round in shape and popular for creating upper pole fullness.
- Saline breast implants can be inserted through a relatively small incision in or around the breast and filled to a custom size after insertion.
- They cost less but ripple more and are less natural.
Silicone Breast Implants
- Silicone implants tend to be more popular than their saline counterparts.
- Silicone implants are filled with a cohesive gel designed to closely mimic the feel of organic breast tissue.
- Silicone implants are often the choice for naturally thin women who don’t want their implants to show through their breast skin, as these breast implants have a lower incidence of rippling and rupturing than saline breast implants.
Gummy Bear Implants
- Gummy bear implants, also known as form-stable, teardrop or highly cohesive implants, are made with a high strength silicone gel.
- These implants are created to echo the natural fall of the breast, with the most volume at the bottom of the implant and a gently sloping top.
- Small-breasted women with low body fat often choose gummy bear implants.
- Gummy bear implants are also becoming an increasingly popular choice for use in breast reconstruction.
- These form-stable implants run the risk of rotation and cost more so it is important to discuss the best options for you with your plastic surgeon.
Customizing Your Breast Implant Options
In addition to implant type, there are a number of other factors that help ensure you get the best results for you during your breast augmentation:
- Breast implant shape
- Breast implant size
- Breast implant texture
- Breast implant profile
Breast Implant Shape
Breast implants can be either round or anatomical in shape.
- Traditional breast implants are round, meaning they are equally full on the top and bottom, projecting noticeably from the chest wall.
- Gummy bear implants are shaped like a teardrop, carrying more volume at the bottom than at the top, much like a natural female breast.
Round implants are popular among women who wish to achieve a full look, while anatomical implants can be the best choice for slender women seeking a natural-looking enhancement.*
Breast Implant Texture
Breast implants can be either textured or smooth on the surface.
- Smooth breast implants can move freely inside the breast pocket.
- Textured implants allow the breast tissue to better incorporate the implant, holding the implant in place.
It’s best to discuss all the options with your plastic surgeon.
Breast Implant Size
Breast implants come in a wide range of sizes, which are measured in cubic centimeters of volume. Keep in mind as you select the best size for your goals that the same implant size will create a different result on each woman, depending on your natural anatomy. Saline implants can be custom-filled to nearly any size increment, while silicone implants come pre-filled from the manufacturer in set sizes.
Breast Implant Profile
In addition to coming in different sizes, round breast implants have different profiles. Implant profile refers to the degree of projection from the chest wall.
- A low profile implant has a wide base and relatively little projection from the chest, which can be suitable for women with a wide rib cage.
- A high profile implant has a narrower base and a greater degree of projection.
Women may opt for high profile implants for a more dramatic result, or if they have a naturally small frame that’s better suited to a narrow implant base.*
Dr. Harrington can help you decide upon the best breast implant for your appearance goals. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact us online or call our Plymouth office at 651-290-7600 to schedule your breast implant consultation today and learn more about how to enhance your natural beauty. Live near Charlotte, NC? Dr. Harrington recommends visiting our friends at Capizzi MD for your breast augmentation.
*This information is for education only, and is not meant as a guarantee of results. Your results may vary.