Breast augmentation using implants is the second most commonly performed cosmetic surgery procedure in the U.S. With the use of saline or silicone breast implants to fill out breast volume, women with small or asymmetrical breasts, as well as those who have lost breast volume after pregnancy or weight loss, can enlarge their breasts.*
Dr. Jennifer Harrington is a top female plastic surgeon who understands that no two women are alike. She works closely with her patients to help achieve natural-looking breast enhancement results that meet their appearance goals.* During your consultation, she will discuss your goals for surgery with you and help you choose an implant to give you the look, size and feel that’s just right.*
Contact us online or call our Plymouth office today at 651-290-7600 for more information about breast augmentation, including pricing and breast implant options. At Harrington Plastic Surgery, we’ve helped women from Minneapolis-St. Paul, St. Cloud, Wayzata, Minnetonka and throughout Minnesota feel great about their new look with the help of breast augmentation.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Most women in good overall health can be excellent candidates for breast enlargement. Some reasons women consider breast enhancement surgery include:*
- Hypomastia (small breasts)
- Breast asymmetry (one breast larger than the other)
- Loss of volume in breasts
Types of Breast Implants
There are two main types of implants used for breast augmentation surgery: saline and silicone. Each implant has its own benefits.
- Saline breast implants are filled with saline (salt water) at the time of surgery. Saline implants cost about half as much as silicone implants. These types of implants tend to feel slightly firmer to the touch than their silicone counterparts, may show more rippling on the sides of the breast and have a higher rupture rate. If a saline implant ruptures, breast volume will immediately diminish and the implant will need to be replaced.
- Silicone breast implants are filled with a silicone gel that is soft and feels very natural to the touch. Silicone implants tend not to ripple as much as saline although they still can ripple. These implants rupture less often than saline implants. If these implants rupture, there will likely be no change in the size of the breast. Silicone implants are typically the preferred implant for most breast augmentation candidates due to their more natural feel and decreased incidence of rippling.*
Breast Augmentation Incisions
There are 3 main types of incisions used for breast enlargement surgery:
- Inframammary Fold Incision: This incision is made in the crease underneath the breast. This incision sits in or near the skin fold and is hidden by the curve of the breast once healed.* This incision can be used to place the implant either above or below the chest (pectoralis) muscle. This is our preferred incision type for all breast augmentations.
- Transaxillary Incision: This incision is made in the axilla, or armpit. The implant is then placed through this incision into a pocket created beneath the breast. A transaxillary incision can be used to place the implant either above or below the chest muscles.
- Periareolar Incision: This incision is made around the lower border of the areola at the junction of the areola and the skin. Because the incision goes through the breast ducts and glands, a periareolar incision may result in a higher rate of implant infection and capsular contracture.
Your Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation surgery is a same-day procedure with the entire process taking approximately 3 hours.* The surgery itself typically takes 45 minutes to 1 hour.* Dr. Harrington performs breast augmentation under general anesthesia in an accredited surgery center. Patients that have sensitivities to narcotic medications, may benefit from our opioid-free or reduced surgery and recovery customized approach. You will need to arrive 1 hour before the surgery start time. The recovery phase lasts about 1 hour, after which you will be discharged from the center. You will need to come to the surgery center with someone who is able to drive you home after surgery, and an adult will need to stay with you for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
In some cases, your plastic surgeon may recommend additional procedures. Because breast implants only add volume, women with sagging breasts may consider adding a breast lift. It is also common to include breast enhancement surgery as part of a mommy makeover.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Most women will feel sore for the first few days after surgery due to pressure on the pectoral muscles from the implants.* Discomfort should continue to improve every day.* All incisions are closed with dissolving sutures, and you will be started on a scar therapy program 1 week after surgery. Most women choose to take about 1 week away from work.* Women who work a desk job with no heavy lifting are typically able to go back to work within 1 week after surgery.*
It is normal to have some numbness or hypersensitivity of the nipple, areola or skin around the breast. This is due to some of the nerves being stretched during surgery, and should improve with time.* It is also normal to feel pressure both in your armpits and along your sternum. This tight sensation will decrease as your muscles and skin relax to accommodate the new implants.*
It is important to discuss possible risks and complications with Dr. Harrington prior to breast enhancement surgery. If you notice any sudden swelling in one of your breasts with increased pain, notify our office immediately.
Breast Augmentation FAQs
How much does breast augmentation cost?
Breast augmentation costs vary based on many factors, but can range from $6,000 to $8,000 or more. Factor in additional fees for anesthesia, surgical facility fees and other associated costs when determining the total cost of surgery. The best way to get an accurate estimate of the total cost of your breast enhancement procedure is to schedule a consultation to discuss your specific needs and goals.
How do I choose the best breast augmentation plastic surgeon near me?
Always check for board certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery before choosing a plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation. Ask friends and family members for referrals to reputable plastic surgeons in your area. Some women feel more comfortable working with a top female plastic surgeon like Dr. Harrington for their breast enhancement procedure, so take this into consideration when searching for the right plastic surgeon near you as well.
What is the best age for breast augmentation?
There is not a single best age to get breast implants, though women should be at least 18 years old before getting a breast augmentation, as your body is still developing and will likely change in the future. Otherwise, women of any age over 18 could be a good candidate for breast augmentation, provided they are in good physical and mental health.
How painful is breast augmentation?
Many women report that breast augmentation recovery is only mildly painful or uncomfortable. Often, over-the-counter pain medication is enough to keep you comfortable during the initial stage of breast augmentation recovery, when tenderness and soreness will be at its highest. After the first week or two of recovery, soreness should gradually fade away as your body continues to heal and recover.
Wearing a special compression or surgical bra during the first week or so of recovery can help to reduce swelling and discomfort.
When will I see my breast augmentation results?
You will notice a change in the size of your breasts right away, but it will take several weeks or months for your full breast augmentation results to take shape. At first, your breast implants might appear to be too high on your chest or even square instead of round. This is normal and should gradually improve over time as your breast implants soften and settle into place.
Around three months after breast augmentation, you should have a good idea of what your final results will look like.
How long do breast implants last?
Expect your breast implants to last ten years or more. While some women choose to have a breast augmentation revision surgery to change the size or position of their breasts prior to or around the ten-year mark, this is not always necessary. In some cases, breast implants may never need to be revised, depending on how old you were when you had your initial breast augmentation, the type of implant used and other factors.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact us online or call our Plymouth office at 651-290-7600 to schedule your breast implant consultation today and learn more about how to enhance your natural beauty. Live near Charlotte, NC? Dr. Harrington recommends visiting our friends at Capizzi MD for your breast augmentation.
*This information is for education only, and is not meant as a guarantee of results. Your results may vary.