Breast augmentation using implants is the second most commonly performed cosmetic surgery procedure in the U.S. With the use of saline or silicone breast implants to fill out breast volume, women with small or asymmetrical breasts, as well as those who have lost breast volume after pregnancy or weight loss, can enlarge their breasts.*
Dr. Jennifer Harrington is a top female plastic surgeon who understands that no two women are alike. She works closely with her patients to help achieve natural-looking breast enhancement results that meet their appearance goals.* During your consultation, she will discuss your goals for surgery with you and help you choose an implant to give you the look, size and feel that’s just right.*
Contact us online or call our Plymouth office today at 651-290-7600 for more information about breast augmentation, including pricing and breast implant options. At Harrington Plastic Surgery, we’ve helped women from Minneapolis-St. Paul, St. Cloud, Wayzata, Minnetonka and throughout Minnesota feel great about their new look with the help of breast augmentation.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Most women in good overall health can be excellent candidates for breast enlargement. Some reasons women consider breast enhancement surgery include:*
- Hypomastia (small breasts)
- Breast asymmetry (one breast larger than the other)
- Loss of volume in breasts
Types of Breast Implants
There are two main types of implants used for breast augmentation surgery: saline and silicone. Each implant has its own benefits.
- Saline breast implants are filled with saline (salt water) at the time of surgery. Saline implants cost about half as much as silicone implants. These types of implants tend to feel slightly firmer to the touch than their silicone counterparts, may show more rippling on the sides of the breast and have a higher rupture rate. If a saline implant ruptures, breast volume will immediately diminish and the implant will need to be replaced.
- Silicone breast implants are filled with a silicone gel that is soft and feels very natural to the touch. Silicone implants tend not to ripple as much as saline although they still can ripple. These implants rupture less often than saline implants. If these implants rupture, there will likely be no change in the size of the breast. Silicone implants are typically the preferred implant for most breast augmentation candidates due to their more natural feel and decreased incidence of rippling.*
Breast Augmentation Incisions
There are 3 main types of incisions used for breast enlargement surgery:
- Inframammary Fold Incision: This incision is made in the crease underneath the breast. This incision sits in or near the skin fold and is hidden by the curve of the breast once healed.* This incision can be used to place the implant either above or below the chest (pectoralis) muscle. This is our preferred incision type for all breast augmentations.
- Transaxillary Incision: This incision is made in the axilla, or armpit. The implant is then placed through this incision into a pocket created beneath the breast. A transaxillary incision can be used to place the implant either above or below the chest muscles.
- Periareolar Incision: This incision is made around the lower border of the areola at the junction of the areola and the skin. Because the incision goes through the breast ducts and glands, a periareolar incision may result in a higher rate of implant infection and capsular contracture.
Your Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation surgery is a same-day procedure with the entire process taking approximately 3 hours.* The surgery itself typically takes 45 minutes to 1 hour.* Dr. Harrington performs breast augmentation under general anesthesia in an accredited surgery center. Patients that have sensitivities to narcotic medications, may benefit from our opioid-free or reduced surgery and recovery customized approach. You will need to arrive 1 hour before the surgery start time. The recovery phase lasts about 1 hour, after which you will be discharged from the center. You will need to come to the surgery center with someone who is able to drive you home after surgery, and an adult will need to stay with you for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
In some cases, your plastic surgeon may recommend additional procedures. Because breast implants only add volume, women with sagging breasts may consider adding a breast lift. It is also common to include breast enhancement surgery as part of a mommy makeover.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Most women will feel sore for the first few days after surgery due to pressure on the pectoral muscles from the implants.* Discomfort should continue to improve every day.* All incisions are closed with dissolving sutures, and you will be started on a scar therapy program 1 week after surgery. Most women choose to take about 1 week away from work.* Women who work a desk job with no heavy lifting are typically able to go back to work within 1 week after surgery.*
It is normal to have some numbness or hypersensitivity of the nipple, areola or skin around the breast. This is due to some of the nerves being stretched during surgery, and should improve with time.* It is also normal to feel pressure both in your armpits and along your sternum. This tight sensation will decrease as your muscles and skin relax to accommodate the new implants.*
It is important to discuss possible risks and complications with Dr. Harrington prior to breast enhancement surgery. If you notice any sudden swelling in one of your breasts with increased pain, notify our office immediately.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact us online or call our Plymouth office at 651-290-7600 to schedule your breast implant consultation today and learn more about how to enhance your natural beauty. Live near Charlotte, NC? Dr. Harrington recommends visiting our friends at Capizzi MD for your breast augmentation.
*This information is for education only, and is not meant as a guarantee of results. Your results may vary.